Home

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 7, 2015

"After the Hookset"--a video

I had hoped to produce at least 3 videos this winter--possibly 4.  Hmmm... I have worked on them but alas, here is the first one I have actually finished.  It is not meant to be instructional; it is just meant for fun.  There are 8 takes and hooksets in this video.  What I am focusing on is those seconds right after the hookset.  Watch it on the full screen and in HD so you can see the fish more easily.

The last fish that jumps and summersaults is one of my favorite videos I have captured these past several seasons.  He actually picks up the fly before I realize it; you can see the line move.

Enjoy.







PS  I do have a fair amount of my video "Dropping the Fly" finished.  Lets see if I can get it finished before carp season starts.  If I don't I'm a total goner; I likely won't get it done until next winter.

11 comments:

  1. Nice video! I've never seen a hooked carp jump like that. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RM. I have rarely seen a hooked carp jump like that last fish. That is the only one I have on video. He really made me smile.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jim,
    As cool as the tales and the jumps and all that are, you did a great job on your little monologue at the start. Filming yourself talking and not feeling (and therefore looking) like an idiot is much harder than people think, even for a veteran teacher. You sum it all up well and come across suave and slick. Well done, and maybe I'll sneak out your way and fish this summer.
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, it is unusual for someone to comment on the narrative versus the fish and the fishing. Thanks for the positive feedback on that part. I'll be here this summer; let me know when you are coming.

      Delete
  3. Jim,

    That was very nicely said and done!!! I pine for the water and chances you have (but take what I do have gladly.) Had 3 carp leap at the hook set myself but all come unhooked instantly, way too cool though, all of it.

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the positive feedback Greg.

      Delete