Home

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Carp Sized Trout

One of the good things about the Carp moving out of the shallows this time of year is that it reminds me that I do enjoy fishing for other fish. Monkey Forks is close to the Carp Lodge so Rich and I headed up there to see if any fish would be kind enough to slurp our flies.

Monkey Forks is one of the few spring creeks here in Washington. Mostly we have freestone rivers. The water in Monkey Forks stays much the same temperature the whole year. It is just a very different venue than we are used to in most of our moving water. It is different in many ways. The water moves slowly and the bottom is weedy and muddy. The regulations prohibit you from getting in the creek for any reason. That means you cast from the edges and need to carry a net. The fish that live, work, and play in Monkey Forks look down for their food AND they look up. That means they will take a dry fly. Well now, as the take is the premier moment, dry fly takes make my face smile.

Oh, and one other thing that makes Monkey Forks different is that there are some whoppers in that creek. Six and one half pounds is the biggest one I released last year.

Here is a picture of Rich playing a fish that was 18 inches.



This fish took my #14 May Fly



I weighed him in the net and he was 7 pounds 3 ounces.



I think I will be returning.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I would certainly be returning too! Looks like a lovely day...

    ReplyDelete